Archbishop Hutton's School has its origins in WARTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL, founded by Matthew Hutton. Born in 1529 and raised by his parents in modest surroundings in the village of Hutton (now Priest Hutton), Matthew was sent to study
at Cambridge by a Yorkshire gentleman who recognised his potential.Graduating in 1551 he followed an academic career until the age of 40 when he entered the church, becoming first Dean of York, then Bishop of Durham and finally archbishop of York until his death in 1606.The Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth I in1595 includes the words "...shall be called henceforth in perpituity 'The Free Grammar School and Hospital of Jesus of the town of Warton in the county of Lancaster' to endure in future times forever."A two storey building was erected on a site called Cross Bank to the rear of Main
Street. The ground floor provided accommodation for six elderly and poor persons
(from within the Ancient parish of Warton) and the Free Grammar School occupied the first floor, access to which was by an open staircase to the rear of the property.
At its inception the school was equipped with a good library and the Bishop's grant
gave £20 annually to the Master and £6.13s.4d for the Usher or assistant. "Six discreet and good men" were appointed Wardens and Governors of the Free School and Hospital and all that thereto apertained. Below is an artist's impression of the building as it probably appeared.
The school served the parish of Warton and Lindeth which in those days embraced Carnforth, Borwick, Hutton, the Yealands and Silverdale. Later in 1595 a house for the Master was added to the right hand side of the building.
As the school became more established the number of pupils increased and a boarding house was built (no. 78 Main Street) to house pupils who could not easily return home on a daily basis.The school went through several transformations as the state took an increasing interest in education.
In 1902 a new school building was erected in Main Street (now a private house). During World War II many children were evacuated to the village and the Church Hall was used as additional accommodation. The 1944 Education Act, providing free education for all, offered foundations such as Warton's the choice of becoming Voluntary Aided or Voluntary Controlled Schools. Warton opted for the latter whereby the local authority appointed a majority of Managers (later called Governors) though the Trust founded by Matthew Hutton had representation to ensure the religious character or ethos of the school.
In 1970 the school united with a separate Infants' School across the road and moved to its present site in Back Lane, though the older building remained in use for some time.
The school aims to be at the centre of village life, respecting its traditions, yet being at the forefront of developments in teaching and learning.
In line with most public institutions these days it has a Mission Statement, namely:
We welcome everyone, whatever your background, so that you can reach your Godgiven potential .
Its ethos statement reads: "Recognising its historic foundation the school aims to serve its community by providing education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practices. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith and promotes Christian values through the experience it
offers all its pupils."
"The School's aims are:
• to promote moral values, self respect and an appreciation of the Spiritual dimension of life
• to develop the academic potential of each pupil
• to develop enquiry and interest in learning
• to encourage pupils to respect and value people equally regardless of their differences
• to develop partnerships between school and the home and the local community
• to develop a joy of the value of life and a recognition of our responsibility in maintaining an ordered and caring society."
To find out more visit the school's web site at